REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Government of Nepal
Telecommunications Sector Reform Project (TSRP)
Capacity Building for Nepal Telecommunications Authority (NTA)
Credit No. 3581-NEP
Project No. P050671
(First Date of Publication: December 20, 2007)
- This request for Expressions of Interest follows the updated General Procurement Notice for this project that appeared in Development Business No. 589 of August 31, 2002.
- The Government of Nepal has received a credit 3581-NEP from the International Development Association (IDA) toward the cost of Telecommunications Sector Reform Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds of this credit to payments under the contract for consulting services for technical assistance under the project.
- The main objective of the consulting services is to build capacity in NTA so that it is able to provide timely response to and address issues of an evolving regulatory agenda in this rapidly changing field of information and telecommunications technologies and services.
- To achieve above objective, NTA needs to enhance the capacity of its staffs in specific areas including:
- Principles of effective regulation with emphasis on the economics of telecommunications and price controls
- Regulations on licensing, tariff and interconnection
- Competition policy and law enforcement
- Universal service
- Management of limited resources including Numbering and Spectrum usage
- Convergence and NGN
- Quality of service monitoring
- Public consultation
- Consumer Protection
- The consultants are also expected to provide NTA staffs with the opportunity to learn from off-site visit programs such as regional and international experiences/practices and conferences/ seminars/workshops.
- The specific role of the consultant is clearly indicated in the TOR for the assignment which is available at http://126.96.36.199/public notice.html
- NTA now invites expressions of interest (EoI) from eligible consulting firms:
- Possessing specific skills and a competent training team comprising of a telecommunications engineer, economist, lawyer working in telecommunications field, financial and accounting experts and institutional specialists
- Previous practical experience (minimum two years) in carrying out training for regulatory agencies.
- The Consultant is encouraged to include local professionals or firms as part of the consulting team in carrying out this assignment. The contract will be with the Lead Consultant where a consortium is to provide the services
- Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.). Consultants may associate to enhance their qualifications.
- A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers, January 1995 (revised in January and August 1996, September 1997 and January 1999). Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address given below during 10:00 am – 4:00 p.m. on weekdays (Sunday–Friday).
- EOIs must be delivered either electronically or in paper copies to the address below by Jan 22, 2008. If the deadline specifies above falls on government holiday, the deadline shall be extended automatically to the next working day.
Dr. Dinesh Kumar Sharma, Chairman