Nepal Telecommunications Authority (NTA) has sought assistance from the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) to carry out capacity building training on Formulating Strategic Plan for NTA.
Mr. Sameer Sharma, ITU Senior Advisor, is leading the project. Mr. Kabiraj Khanal, former Joint Secretary of Government of Nepal, is the local expert for this mission.
This request for assistance has resulted in the ITU commissioning Mr Scott W Minehane of Windsor Place Consulting Pty Ltd (WPC) to undertake the project. Mr Minehane is a telecommunications consultant based in Melbourne, Australia and is the Managing Director of WPC. Scott has previously completed projects on wireless broadband masterplan (WBB‐MP) and QoS standards for Nepal.
The ITU representatives had meeting with Secretary and senior officials of Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MoCIT), Chairman and senior officials of Nepal Telecommunications Authority and representatives from the telecom/internet service providers of Nepal.
The strategic plan and budget shall be developed in respect of
• The Need for clear division of responsibilities
• The Ministry should generally have overall responsibility
• The regulator will have a range of responsibilities and be independent to the extent possible
• The weight of principles of effective regulation
• Nepal’s existing law and key regulations
• Key future issues driving laws and regulation